RV Insurance

From the Upstate to the Lowcountry, South Carolina has an impressive diversity of geographies. And there’s no better way to explore the breathtaking scenery than by RV. But whether you’re headed to a shoreline spot to fish the tranquil waters of Lake Jocassee or looking forward to sunset walks on the beach while you camp at Myrtle Beach, make sure you have adequate motorhome coverage before you go!

Types of Motorhomes/RVs Insured

We can help you find coverage for your recreational vehicle – no matter how large or compact:

  • Class A Motorhome Insurance: The largest motorhomes on the market, these RVs can be as long as 45’. With manufacturing names like Tiffin and Thor, Class As offer lots of luxury, but handling a vehicle that’s this large might seem daunting. Before hitting the road in your Class A, make sure you have enough insurance!
  • Class B/B+ Motorhome Insurance: This motorhome class offers RVers a more compact home on the road, usually ranging from 18’ to 24’. Easier to park and with higher fuel economy than Class As, Class Bs are a fun way to explore the Palmetto State!
  • Class C Motorhome Insurance: Though it comes after “B” in the alphabet, “C” motorhomes are the mid-sized option, falling between the Class A and C motorhomes. These also have more sleeping/storage capacity than a Class B, thanks to the cabin above the driver’s seat.
  • Travel Trailer Insurance: Travel trailers are non-motorized recreational vehicles that are towed by truck or SUV. These are great for camping or vacations because they are easy to hitch up and go!
  • 5th Wheel Insurance: Slightly roomier than a travel trailer, a fifth wheel has additional space above the trailer hitch. Most 5th Wheel owners tow the trailer via a special truck bed attachment.
  • Toy Hauler Insurance: If you travel with ATVs, horses, motorcycles, golf carts, or other “toys, ” then a Toy Hauler is most likely your trailer of choice. In addition to sleeping quarters and living space, these trailers offer a separate area for storing your extra cargo.
  • Folding/Tent Trailer Insurance: Pop up campers are great for short weekend excursions because of their compact size. Though the most basic of RVs, this is still an excellent option for those who want to sleep in something more substantial than a tent.

RV Insurance Requirements in South Carolina

To operate motorhomes, drivers must carry the same insurance coverage as they would for their cars. In South Carolina, the minimum insurance is 25/50/25 liability coverage, plus uninsured motorist coverage in the same amounts. Here are the details:

  • $25,000 Bodily Injury Coverage Per Person: This liability coverage pays for the medical expenses if another driver and their passengers are injured in an accident where you are at fault.
  • $50,000 Bodily Injury Coverage Per Accident: South Carolina mandates that the liability policy include bodily injury coverage up to $50,000 per accident.
  • $25,000 Property Damage Coverage: This pays to repair damage to the property of others (vehicles or otherwise) in an accident you cause.

Liability insurance pays for the expenses of other drivers in accidents in which you are at-fault. Uninsured motorist coverage helps pay for your expenses if another driver hits you and they do not have insurance. In some cases, you may be able to add RV coverage to an existing auto policy. However, the breadth of coverage may be limited.

Other Types of RV Insurance Coverage

To make sure you have all the protection you need, consider adding these additional coverages to your policy:

  • Collision Insurance: If you cause an accident, your liability insurance covers the property damage and medical expenses of the other drivers involved. However, it won’t pay to repair or replace your recreational vehicle. To have coverage in this situation, you’ll need to add collision insurance to your policy. Collision pays for damages or replacement of your vehicle up to the limits of your policy.
  • Comprehensive Insurance: If your motorhome is flooded or attacked by a rogue moose, comprehensive, non-collision coverage kicks in to pay for the damages.
  • Underinsured Motorist: While other drivers are required to carry insurance, they may not have adequate coverage to pay for damages to your RV. Even though the at-fault party is financially responsible, they may not have the means to pay the full bill, or you might have to spend years in court trying to collect. However, if you have underinsured motorist protection, this coverage kicks in to pay what the other driver’s insurance doesn’t, giving you peace of mind.
  • Full Timer Insurance: Use your motorhome as a full-time residence? This insurance typically expands your coverage limits to make sure your home sweet home is fully protected!
  • Medical Payments (MedPay): If you or your passengers are injured in an accident, this coverage helps pay related medical expenses no matter which driver is at-fault.
  • Total Loss Replacement: Typically available for newer models, total loss replacement either pays for a new, comparable RV or an amount greater than the actual cash value when an RV is totaled (depending on the age of the recreational vehicle). This option is a great way to ensure you protect the value of your shiny home on wheels.
  • Replacement of Personal Effects: Whether you’re living on the road or just using your RV for weekend or weeklong escapes, chances are you’re packing more than just a change of clothes. Personal replacement cost coverage pays to replace items like clothing, electronics, and other personal effects that you keep in your RV.
  • Emergency Coverage: If a covered loss disrupts your trip and renders your RV uninhabitable, emergency coverage will help pay for your lodging and alternative transportation.
  • Roadside Assistance: Not just anyone can assist with a broken-down motorhome, and getting stranded on the side of the road is not the ideal way to finish out your vacation. Roadside assistance helps tow your motorhome to a nearby shop, so you can get it repaired and back on the road.
  • Vacation Liability: Since your campsite becomes your home, it makes sense to have the same liability coverage as you would for a real house. Vacation liability coverage helps pay for bodily injuries that happen while you’re not driving.

Motorhome and RV Insurance in Greenville

Whether your RV of choice is a retro Airstream Land Yacht or new, fully decked out Newmar King Aire, our team has what it takes to help you find the right insurance policy for your recreational vehicle. Protect your weekend camping trips and cross-country road trips by purchasing coverage that safeguards your motorhome. To speak with a licensed South Carolina insurance agent, please give us a call today!