SC Insurance Laws | Auto Coverage Types | Top SC Insurance Companies | Quotes
Nestled in Upstate South Carolina at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the beautiful city of Greenville, SC is a bustling place with small-town charm and big-city amenities. This Southern city boasts a tangle of roadways to explore, from the revitalized streets of downtown to the historic, tree-lined avenues of the Earle District. Yet despite the undeniable beauty of city center, the vast, mountainous playground just outside of Greenville’s limits offers constant impetus for residents to get out of town for a scenic drive. From Greenville, US-276 winds into the depths of the Nantahala National Forest, while other roadways meander into the vast wilderness of the Great Smoky Mountains along the Blue Ridge Parkway. And for those who prefer metropolitans over mountains, Interstate 85 offers convenient access and short commutes to both Atlanta and Charlotte.
Before you buckle up and hit the road in and around Greenville, it’s important that you have adequate car insurance. Did you know that 93% of Greenville residents make frequent use of their vehicles to get to work, run errands, and head off on weekend adventures? The city’s staggering use of the auto means more cars on the roads, and unfortunately, more opportunities for accidents. Before you ever get behind the wheel, state law requires you to carry minimum liability and uninsured motorist coverages. To protect yourself and your assets, you may also want to consider adding additional coverages to your auto policy. Keep reading for more information on South Carolina insurance requirements, types of coverages available, and tips for getting cheap insurance rates. Or, skip straight to requesting a free car insurance quote using the button below.
South Carolina Car Insurance Laws
South Carolina requires all motorists to carry minimum 25/50/25 liability coverage and 25/50/25 uninsured motorist coverage. These coverage amounts include:
- 25,000 bodily injury coverage per person
- 50,000 bodily injury coverage per accident
- 25,000 property damage coverage per accident
Liability coverage amounts cover the expenses caused to other drivers and vehicles in accidents where you are found at fault. Uninsured motorist coverage pays for your medical and property repair expenses in an accident where the other driver is found at fault but does not have insurance.
Note: The state of South Carolina does allow motorists to waive auto liability coverage by paying a $550 annual fee to the state to register as an uninsured motorist.
Types of Auto Insurance Coverages Available
In addition to the mandatory liability and uninsured motorist coverages, there are several other types of auto insurance coverages you may want to consider adding to your policy:
- Collision Coverage: This coverage pays to repair damage to your vehicle in an accident where you are at-fault. Keep in mind that the state-mandated liability insurance only pays for the expenses of the other driver and will not pay for your vehicle repairs or medical expenses.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This coverage pays to repair damage to your vehicle caused by a non-collision incident, such as a tree falling on your car or a fire.
- MedPay Coverage: This type of coverage helps pay for medical and funeral expenses of anyone in your vehicle at the time of accident, regardless of who is at-fault.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP coverage is like MedPay coverage, but also covers additional medical treatment, lost wages, and replacement services.
- Underinsured Motorist: You may also purchase underinsured motorist protection to protect yourself against drivers who may not have sufficient insurance to cover expenses in an accident they cause.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: If you’re involved in an accident, it could take days or weeks to get your car back from the repair shop. In the meantime, rental car reimbursement will pay up for you to drive a rental car.
- Towing and Labor: Stuck on the side of the road? Towing and labor coverage will pay for roadside assistance and/or a tow to your local repair shop.
Top Car Insurance Companies in Greenville
Dozens of insurance companies offer insurance to South Carolina residents, but these ten are the largest carriers for auto insurance in the state by premium volume:
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Ins Co – 20.63%
- Government Employees Insurance Company – 7.32%
- Allstate Fire and Casualty Insurance Company – 7.07%
- GEICO Indemnity Company – 4.58%
- Progressive Northern Insurance Company – 4.19%
- State Farm Fire and Casualty Co. – 3.85%
- South Carolina Farm Bureau Insurance Company – 3.26%
- United Services Automobile Association (USAA) – 3.18%
- Allstate Ins Co – 2.85%
- Travelers Property Casualty Insurance Company – 2.72%
Source: South Carolina Department of Insurance (http://doi.sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10204)
Car Insurance Quotes
At Upside Insurance Greenville, we let you compare rates from multiple insurance carriers in one place, making the process of finding affordable auto insurance easy! To obtain your free quote, please fill out the form below or give us a call to speak with a representative. We’ll walk you through some basic questions to determine your desired coverage levels, then provide you with quotes from South Carolina’s top insurers. By comparing rates, you can score huge discounts on your Greenville auto insurance policy.